Situated in the beautiful English county of Norfolk, Langley Senior School and Sixth Form is a vibrant and friendly co-educational day, weekly and boarding school set in a 110 acre estate, located 10 miles outside Norwich.
Langley Senior School historic roots
Visitors to Langley School always comment on our beautiful house and estate.
Staff and pupils alike appreciate Langley’s Grade 1 listed grounds, originally designed by the great 18th century landscape gardener, Capability Brown.
Langley School’s story begins in 1858, when by order of the Court of Chancery, the King Edward VI Grammar School in Norwich was divided into an upper, academic department and a modern commercial school designed to include the children of newly prosperous Victorian parents.
In 1910, the Education Committee decided to amalgamate middle schools in Norwich with the Municiple and Presbyterian Schools for boys to attend the new City of Norwich School which was to be built at Eaton.
At this time, Jeremiah George Chapman, a teacher at King Edward Middle School was offered a position at the City of Norwich School, but he decided to follow his dream of providing boarding facilities for those children who found daily travel to Norwich impossible. Mr Chapman combined middle school pupils and boarders in his own school at St. Giles.
The senior school moved out of the city to Langley in 1946, changing its name to Langley. To prevent any uneasiness between the old boys and the new, all old boys of both schools were from then on to be known as Icenians. For the younger pupils (40 of them being under nine) Beech Hill, a house in Thorpe became available.
The first girls arrived at Langley School in 1978, when three girls joined the sixth form. Langley School became fully co-educational in 1990.
Langley Preparatory School history
Langley Preparatory School was originally Norwich High School for Boys. In 1946, the Senior School moved out of the city to its current site in Langley and the Preparatory School moved to Beech Hill House in Thorpe St Andrew, Norwich. The school later became co-educational. In September 2016 Langley Preparatory School in Thorpe St Andrews merged with Taverham Hall Preparatory School and opened its doors as Langley Preparatory School at Taverham Hall.
Thorpe House School history
Thorpe House School started in 1897 when sisters Lilla and Ethel Courtnall founded a school in Sudbury in Suffolk, called the West Suffolk High School for Girls. By 1900, the sisters moved their school to Thorpe St Andrew in Norwich, renaming it Thorpe High School.
The property ‘Sunny Hill’ was bought in 1949 and Langley Preparatory School and Nursery remained on this site until 2016.