Here at Langley we are made up of four strands: Pre-Prep, the Prep School, Senior School and Sixth Form. During the fourth and final part of your school journey, within our Sixth Form community, we encourage creativity, adaptability and resilience, helping to make you world-ready for life after Langley. The school experience should be the start of a lifelong love of learning.
The Sixth Form experience
If you speak to the current Sixth Form students themselves, one thing becomes apparent really quickly. Whatever that individual aspires to – whether it be academia, sport, the arts, sciences – they are supported every step of the way by our staff. And the support is two-fold; both emotional in terms of encouragement and practical in terms of resources. Here’s how we do it:
- Small class sizes – typically 15 students per class.
- Academic offering – we have an extensive subject choice, including creative arts, the sciences, languages, Law, Economics, Politics, Sport (BTEC), Extended Project Qualification (EPQ), to mention a few.
- Co-curricular offering – including subject seminars, revision conferences, Model United Nations, debating, international trips (Gambia, Iceland, Morocco, Zanzibar, New York, Washington DC). CCF is a popular choice in Sixth Form as it presents opportunities to explore, to test oneself, take on new challenges, and contribute to the community.
- Creative Arts – music, art, drama and photography flourish in the Sixth Form, and we showcase the student’s talents both internally and externally.
- Sporting opportunities – we work with many sporting partners to allow for both participation and excellence in girls and boys sport alike. The Langley Football Academy (LFA) is a USP of the school and there are numerous teams in a plethora of sports.
- Leadership opportunities – these are extensive, including Heads of School, School Prefect, House Captain, chair of a club or society, CCF team leader, coach of a younger sports team – there are opportunities for all.
- Facilities – our Sixth Form centre has its own ICT suite, café, resource and seminar rooms, and variety of work areas. It’s a central hub for our Lower and Upper Sixth Form students, whose two Year groups are combined when it comes to tutor group time.
- Wellbeing – on campus is a fully equipped medical centre, with two nurses. We have a counselor, our staff are Mental Health First Aiders, and we run dedicated sessions such as ‘time to talk.’ Mindfulness walks are hugely popular across our 110 acres, as are wellbeing walks with resident golden Labrador Indi, who is one of the most loved characters of Langley Sixth Form.
The Head of Sixth Form oversees the future aspirations of all those in the Sixth form. For those considering university, Form tutors guide students through their subject and university selection, and there are specialists for those wanting to go to Oxbridge. We make visits and attend careers conventions across the year. In 2017, 87.9% of our students went to their first-choice university.
For those not looking to go to university, all kinds of assistance is offered when it comes to consideration of career options and apprenticeships, developing CVs and gaining work experience, or planning a Gap Year. This active support begins on entry to Langley School, and during Sixth Form it is a constant theme.
This is what some of our alumni – The Icenians – say about us:
Langley gave me a solid grounding in the sciences and maths, allowing me to have a wide choice of career to go into. Even though I didn’t have my current career in mind until later, school allowed me to pursue the option due to the skills and experiences I developed while I was there. – Biomedical Science graduate and Former Langley pupil
I am so grateful for those at Langley who encouraged me to go with my heart and create a career that provides me with so much joy, connection and purpose in the world. – Vocal coach and Former Langley pupil
What I liked about Langley was it’s a great school for all-rounders – you got opportunities both in the classroom and on the sports field. – Creative Consultant and Former Langley pupil